Sunday, January 4, 2009

Brrr!

On Boxing Day, Graham and I went to Burghead with my friend, Julia (who wouldn't thank me for posting this photo of her but hopefully she will never find out - hee!) to see the annual icy cold madness.
Every Boxing Day for the last 23 years, people (this year well over 100 people) have jumped off one side of the pier into the icy cold water and swum across to the other side before climbing out to make the long walk back to the harbour master's office, all in the name of charity.
No such thing as tin foil blankets (or even fluffy towels) await these hardened north east types! Some people dived, some bombed, some flailed and one bellyflopped rather painfully. Most people just wore shorts and t-shirts but some people like these morris dancers...
... wore fancier outfits and danced off the edge of the pier. 

Graham and I decided to consider considering doing the jump in 2010 for the 25th anniversary but on new year's day we walked across a bridge over the River Kelvin and looked at the water.  Graham said, "Think how cold we feel.  Now think of how cold that water is.  Now think of jumping into the sea in Burghead on Boxing Day."  So I don't think we're considering it anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Brr indeed! Is that THE Julia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Now THE Julia really will kill me! I should say I was taking a photo of the town (with the back of her head in it) when she turned round unexpectedly. I quite like this photo but she's rather a hottie in real life and I don't think she'd consider this a fair representation :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)