Wednesday, September 8, 2010

make it, make it, don't fake it*

I think I mentioned a while back that I was planning to start sharing my craft book collection. I'm just planning to select books pretty randomly from my shelf every so often and post a few pictures here. I hope you enjoy this first installment.
Design And Make Greetings Cards
by Jan and Ted Arundell
Published by JM Dent & Sons, 1975
I would never normally buy a book about making cards (I always think you can work that out for yourself pretty easily) but this book had so many great images in it that I couldn't resist when I found it this weekend.
The two images above are examples of 3D cards.
Collaged trees using paper from magazines...
..and fancy wrapping paper.
Pen and ink drawings.
Seed collage - a classic! May require extra postage nowadays.
The things you can do with stickers.
This image is in the introduction, but I haven't managed to find the part of the book that refers to it yet, so I don't know what it is an example of. Other than greatness, of course.

This book even has a handy list at the back, entitled Some Occasions For Sending Cards. It is pretty extensive and includes:
Congratulations on coming of age/winning the competition
Wishing you well on the voyage
Invitations to parties/picnics/tea/theatre

It doesn't, however, mention sending cards just to say hello, which I think is the best reason of all. I sent three of those yesterday :)

I'll be back with another book soon.

*Have you seen Trash Humpers? I wouldn't exactly (ha ha!) recommend it, but that little phrase has kind of stuck with me.
I did also like the Three Little Devils song.

2 comments:

  1. ooo! what an exciting project I bet you have some awesome craft books!
    that it's a boy one is awesome/creepy i hope I know someone who has a boy soon so I can put that on a card! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been enjoying looking through my books already. Since I'm planning to post about pretty much all of them eventually, I'm not listing them in any particular order. It's so fun that way - no pressure of top-tenning, which always stresses me out! Let me know if you want instructions to make your own stork ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)