Tuesday, January 18, 2011

this post is not for the squeamish


Originally uploaded by Ani Castillo

I'm back at work this morning (very bleary eyed after failing to sleep most of last night) but the system that tells us what programmes need to be subtitled next is down, so we actually and officially cannot do any work for the moment. I have tidied out my inbox and now have free reign to potter around the internet until the worklist is back up and running. When there is so much stuff on the internet, why is it that I can't think of anything I want to look at? That's the same reason I don't like browsing in music shops - faced with so many choices, my mind goes blank. I'm wishing I hadn't caught up on my blog reading before going to bed last night now!

I survived 127 Hours last night and would go so far as to say I enjoyed it. It is definitely worth seeing and by the time you get to the arm cutting, you can sort of handle it because you genuinely know it is the only option. It's like you've gone through the whole process yourself (mentally) but without ACTUALLY going throught it (physically). Obviously. I didn't look away at all, although I did squeak quite a lot and had my hands near my eyes ready to cover them at a split second's notice. Looking around the cinema, most other people were the same. One poor woman lost it and shrieked at a totally innocuous little slip on a patch of gravel towards the end. It was the least tense/scary moment of the whole film, but I think her nerves were shot by that point. Her wimpery was laughed at by all the other cinema-goers. The wimp! Ha! Graham and I also had to laugh when the trapped man compared his bag of piss to a bottle of sauvignon blanc. Guess what we had smuggled in to drink from plastic cups...?

Having faced my fears and made it to the end of 127 Hours, I actually had a harder time coping with my book on the way to work this morning. It was another example of self-inflicted amputation, this time a middle-aged/elderly man removing a patch of eczema by cutting off a lump of flesh with a pair of scissors. I'm not sure if it was as bad as it seemed or if it was because I was reading it, not seeing it or if it was just way too early in the morning, but I had a near passing out experience on the underground. Still feeling a little woozy now... That could have been very embarrassing!

None of this, of course, has anything to do with the picture above, but it has been making me chuckle for the last few days. What a great slogan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)