Sunday, July 1, 2012

thumb sucker extraordinaire

I started preparing this post ages ago so the photos below are getting on a bit, but the one above is from this week.  Dulcie is a thumb sucker.  She has been for ages.  When she was very tiny, it took her a lot of manoeuvering and arm waving before she would get lucky and get her thumb (always the left one) in there.  Nowadays she just shoves it straight in there at any given opportunity.  Cuddling her monkey while she sucks is a new thing though.
It's such a cute habit (for now - maybe not when she's still doing it at the age of 16!) and was a total lifesaver when it came to sleeping in the earlyish days.  Until Dulcie discovered her thumb, she couldn't settle herself at all, but now when she wakes up in the night we just hear, "Sook, sook, sook," and she's straight back off to sleep.
Dulcie usually shoves her thumb in her mouth the moment she has finished feeding, a bit like an old man having a pipe after dinner.  One of her favourite things to do is to be held up on somebody's right shoulder with her left thumb in her mouth and her right arm around their neck, holding onto their hair if it's long enough.  She is such a cuddly baby and I'm glad about that.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't commented on your posts for a while but just incase i forget to do so for a while again, everytime i see pictures of Dulcie my comment will be 'awww! she is so cute/adorable/other nice descriptive word! because she is! Super cute stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw :) I will automatically insert your comments for you inn my mind from now on. We've been at a big family gathering today so she's been charming the pants off lots of relatives who'd never met her before. Everyone is very taken with the thumb sucking and it has been much photographed. She really is very lovely and I'm glad you agree!

      Delete
  2. My Francesca is a thumb sucker too. The left one and she is a true leftie, she always prefered her left hand but it become obvious when she was spinning in the dining room (to make herself dizzy) with Swirlyarts' Anya and her big sister and she was spinning in the opposite direction!! She was 2. And the hair snuggle is great :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's been much speculation about whether Dulcie will be a leftie. I think she is better with her left hand, but I know my niece appeared to be left-handed as a baby but turned out right-handed, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Lefties are so exotic and glamorous, but it must make scissors (and so much more) a bit of a pain.

      I just remembered something sweet. When Dulcie was in hospital, the wee boy in the next incubator was being introduced to his big brother who was about eight years old, and the first thing his big brother asked his dad was, "Is the baby left-handed or right-handed?" So cute!

      Delete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)