Saturday, September 14, 2013

romping along

How long ago did I cut out the pieces to make this romper suit for Dulcie?  Maybe about 4 or 5 months ago?  Well, ta-da!  I have been signed off work for a while with strict instructions to rest, but I'm not very good at doing nothing and can't concentrate on reading right now, so when Graham took Dulcie to the park for a couple of hours, I found my sewing machine, dusted it down and got stitching.  I couldn't really understand the instructions, but decided to throw caution to the wind and launch myself in head first, taking the better to try and fail than never to try at all stance.  In all honesty, I was hoping the greatness of the material would distract people from any blips and imperfections.  Now that I'm finished, I can claim this worked well, but a couple of hours ago I was cursing and swearing and looking at two tubes joined by a gusset that no human would ever fit in!  I'll try to get some photos of Dulcie wearing this tomorrow, but I did try it on her part of the way through, so I'm fairly confident it will fit her.  I think the design is sort of short and wide, whereas Dulcie is long and slim, but it looked OK at the halfway point, so fingers crossed it still fits OK now...  Dulcie was very excited about the bee material when she saw it and enjoyed sitting on my knee "helping" with the sewing machine.
 Here's a close-up of the lovely buttons.  I got these (for this purpose) when we were on holiday, from a lovely wee shop in Dunkeld called The Blue Magpie.  I wasn't 100% sure about the brown colour, but once I held it against the fabric I decided it was just right, more of a blacky-brown and totally suitable for bees to buzz round.  These buttons were quite expensive (a couple of pounds each maybe?) but when you only need two, I think it is OK to push the boat out.

Oh, here's the girl herself, back from the shops, so I will go and wrestle her into it, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)