Saturday, January 4, 2014

read more books?

Read More Books linocut poster by Giulia Sagramola on Etsy.

I keep a list of what I've been reading over on the right-hand side of my blog there.  Remembering what I was reading this time last year, I just counted up how many books I read in 2013 and was surprised and disappointed to see that the grand total reached a measly ten.  Ten books in twelve months?!  Disgraceful.  I could give you my excuses (a couple of long uns that each took me months to get through as well as the fact that most weeks I'll only get the chance to read on my short commute to/from work) but, really, ten books?!  At one time books were really important in my life - I have a degree in literature and a masters in publishing to prove it!  I'd like to say books are still important to me (I think they are...?) but ten books in a year?!  

It's that time of year where everyone thinks they'll do better, do bigger, do more, and I'd love to say I was going to challenge myself to read more in 2014, but I genuinely don't think I'll have the time and, while I certainly could MAKE the time, that would be at the expense of other things that I'm also aiming to do more of.  But I've got to get through more than ten, surely.  Maybe twenty books is a reasonable aim?  Maybe not?

In general, I'm feeling like I don't have enough time to do enough of any of the things I want to do, but I'm not sure whether I should abandon some pursuits altogether (do more of less) or spread myself thin across all the things I want to do (do less of more).  And what activities should take priority?  Presumably raising that peskily time-consuming child, but is there any point in encouraging her to love books (I spend quite a lot of time and energy on this, among other things) when life will only get in the way and stop her reading, or is it just as important for me to show her books are important by reading for myself as it is to show her books are fun by reading to her?  

What is the point of reading anyway?  I suppose what I'm really questioning is...what is the point of anything we do, what is the point of life?

(Gosh, it's hard to resist sharing my morbid mindset at the moment.  No, this is me resisting, honestly.)

So, got any great book recommendations for me?  Ha!

2 comments:

  1. I can very much relate to this... The problem is that young children probably will not sit idly by while you read a grown up book - even if you read it to show them that books are important... :)

    What about taking it one step further and creating a book together with Dulcie? I for one would love to hear more about the wild adventures of Magnus the mouse :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I have always wanted to write a book (hey, haven't we all?) but I was thinking the other night that writing FOR Dulcie might be a good way to go - would tick lots of boxes, if you know what I mean. But maybe having her as co-author would be even better. Food for thought!

      Delete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)