Friday, March 7, 2014

making time for making

Since my work hours changed, I've been able to make a bit more time for making.  These are some things I've made for other people over the last few weeks.  I made this crochet hook roll-up for my mum's birthday.  She's a knitter by trade, but has been expressing an interest in learning to crochet lately and I'm always keen to convert people to the hook, so I got her a book about crochet and a set of crochet hooks.
The hooks themselves (bamboo) were quite nice, but the packaging the came in was definitely not.  Nasty, huh?
I think the addition of a handmade hook roll-up (made from an old pillowcase and a piece of perfectly co-ordinating grosgrain ribbon I had already) really up-levelled this gift.  My mum seemed pleased and she had commented on how much she liked this fabric before, so I knew that was a good choice for her.
I crocheted this cardigan (like the ones I made for Dulcie when she was wee - pattern available here) for my friend's new baby boy.  I say new, but he was actually born in December. Yes, I was a bit slow off the mark, but I made this in 3-6 months size and babies really need cardigans all year round.  You should know, if I'm making things for your baby, that I must hold you in very high regard.  If I'm not in a good frame of mind, every stitch is like a tiny kick in the kidneys to me.  That's devotion for you!  Sheesh...
I also made my friend some fingerless gloves, the first time I had used any of the jumpers I felted about five years ago.  A pair of fingerless gloves was one of the most useful gifts I got post-Dulcie, but wasn't something that had occurred to me.  I don't know how well these will stand the test of time, but they turned out pretty cute and literally took five minutes to make.  I wish I'd managed to get them to her in December rather than February, but I'm sure there will be plenty of cold days still to come.  It's a shame she thought they were odd over-sized legwarmers for her baby!  Ha ha!  She knows what they are now.

I'm LOVING making things again.  I'm not sure I realised how much I'd been missing it.  I've got lots more crafty ideas in the pipeline too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)