Wednesday, November 5, 2014

reading challenge update


Here's my book pile for the Semi-Charmed Winter 2014 Book Challenge, or my book pile SO FAR, I should say, as I'm still waiting for a couple of titles to arrive.  I got off to a bit of a flyer and have already clocked up 20 points by finishing East, West.  Go, me!  It helped that Dulcie and I were staying at my mum and dad's this weekend - I had plenty of reading time by the fire and under the covers.  East, West turned out to be a book of short stories rather than a novel (this was news to me!) and was fantastic in parts, not so fantastic in others.  I absolutely LOVED the East stories, didn't like any of the West stories and quite liked all the East/West stories.  Definitely worth reading, on the whole.

I'm now reading Buddha Da, which definitely meets the "local" criteria - it mentioned locations a few hundred metres from home within the first six pages!  I think it might take me a while to get used to the vernacular style, but I'm hoping I'll enjoy it in the end.  

Buddha Da had been on my bookshelf for years and years.  East, West had been on my bookshelf even longer, for well over a decade, maybe closer to 20 years now I think of it!  Yikes!  This challenge is proving to be a great way to make myself read some of these titles I've never quite got round to before, which can surely be no bad thing.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you've got off to a good start :-) I'm halfway through my second book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done! I'm feeling good about my start but I know I've kicked off with books that are at the shorter/easier end of my list. Hoping I can get through them all by the end of February, but we'll see. I'd say it's defintiely been encouraging me to squeeze in a little more reading so far, which is obviously a good thing :)

      Delete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)