Saturday, April 7, 2012

blue sky thinking

Remember last week, when it was suddenly summer, before the snow hit again?  Ah, the skies were so blue back in those halcyon days.  We took a daytrip to Helensburgh, where we had to fashion a makeshift sun hat for Dulcie (using her speuchle cloth a.k.a. the muslin for mopping up sick) and Graham got sunburn and had to delay getting a haircut so that he wouldn't have a big white strip on his forehead.
Ice cream was frankly necessary, but we didn't have tablet ice cream from this bike/freezer combo.
Instead, we had chocolate caramel shortcake ice cream (mmmmm!) from this cafe, coaxed in by this spoon-wielding boy in a giant cone.
A family portrait.  We used my new birdy scarf to make shady curtains for Dulcie's pram.  Ever the resourceful mother (though I feel more like a makeshift mother when I see all the other babies with their made-for-purpose gadgets and gizmos).
Here I am sitting by the water's edge with a flattering back light.  We sat here and ate dinner, which was... a fish supper!  Graham persuaded me to share one with him and it turned out to have two big pieces of battered fish in it.  I thought I might just manage a few mouthfuls, but I managed to eat a whole piece of fish and actually quite enjoyed it.  It was much easier to eat than the fishcake and I didn't get the dead flesh horror the next day either.  Go me!  This is great progress in my devegetarianising process.
This is a much less flattering light than the last picture, obviously, but it demonstrates a couple of things perfectly - 1) Dulcie's thumb-sucking obsession (cute) and 2) my horrific post-pregnancy hair loss.  Nooo!  Over the last month or so my hair has been falling out in handfuls.  Hopefully the situation stabilises soon before I am completely bald.  My habit of tying my hair back when wet and not thinking about it again does not help the situation either.  I am planning to get all my hair chopped off into a bob or similar.  I feel like a dowdy old ugly bug at the moment, but the light-headed effect of a drastic chop will hopefully perk me up.  If I can find the time to visit the hairdresser.

9 comments:

  1. Wouldn't have even noticed the hair thing you look beautiful! Looks like it was a super fun day - I can't believe there was snow after weather like that!
    +Yay for the fish victory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if two of you say it then it must be true ;) Thanks, both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a cute little girl! and a hair cut always picks you up no end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely day out! Dino's ice cream is the bestest. I do love a day of charity breenjing in Helensburgh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helensburgh on a sunny day really does have everything, doesn't it? I'm aiming to go back at least once more this summer.

      Delete
  5. I love your birdie scarf, where did you find it? I think the scarf/glasses Marilyn-esque combo is long overdue a comeback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My sister sent it to me just recently so I'm afraid it comes from either France or Switzerland. I think it had an Etam label on it (I cut it off so I can't double-check) so maybe you could fine one over here too? If Etam still exists in this country!

      Delete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)