Sunday, April 29, 2012

sunday mornings

At the weekends Graham likes to get up quite early and go out on his bike, but he usually brings me a cup of coffee before he goes.  I drink my coffee while feeding Dulcie from the comfort of my bed and reading a book.  The slow pace of the day and the peace and quiet seems to make Dulcie very relaxed and she will often have a snooze beside me on the mattress after she has finished feeding.  Weekend mornings are also the only time that the cats get to be in bed at the same time as me, having been banished from the bedroom overnight ever since Dulcie came home.  Above is the scene from last Sunday.  My side of the bed is getting to be very messy, as you can see.  I am a bit overrun by bedside books, but it's a good thing that I'm managing to get back into reading, I say!  Just at the bottom of the picture there you can see Dulcie's basket on the floor.  I realised this morning that without a stand, a moses basket is really just a dog basket.  This realisation made me feel like a very bad parent but...
... look at the scene from this Sunday morning!  Ta-da!  Last night Dulcie slept in her enormous new bed for the first time.  She seemed very pleased to wake up in such luxurious and spacious surroundings, bless her.  I found it a bit strange to have her sleeping at the bottom of our bed rather than right beside me (so far away!) but I think I will get used to it.  I am planning to use some of my prettiest vintage fabric to make sheets for Dulcie's mattress.  Since she uses those sleeping bags, she has no need for blankets etc. and I thought some '60s/'70s florals might make her bed that bit more snazzy.  I was just going to hem the edges and make flat sheets, but I think I might try to make some elasticated/fitted sheets instead as they are so much easier to put on.  I don't think it would be all that hard and we'll be using this bed for years so it should be worth the effort.  Watch this space... but not with bated breath!  Actually, my mum is coming to stay soon so I might use her visit to give it a go, although I did promise myself I'd use her visit to get some urgent tidying/cleaning done.  Still, the main thing I wanted to tidy/clean was the craft room so it would be rude not to try to do some crafting too!  And then (woo hoo!) I'll have something other than a baby to blog about... if you class handmade baby sheets as craft-related rather than baby-related.  Hmmm.

I have noticed that some of my followers are disappearing and other followers are taking their place quite seamlessly.  I never worry much about how many/few followers I have, but it is bothering me that my "demographic" may be changing.  It makes me feel that my core self might have been changed by motherhood and I still really want to be the same old me.  I can assure you I am still the same old me really, just me with no time to do anything/blog about anything not related to Dulcie.  I even considered not blogging until I feel like balance has been restored, but decided against it because 1) my blog is really just a diary moderated (in order to stop me getting maudlin) by the fact that anyone can read it, 2) I might want to remember all the mundane nonsense that goes along with this time in my life and 3) balance may never be restored.  So I will keep blogging and hope that not everybody will have jumped ship by the time I surprise you with an out-of-this-world craft-related post.

9 comments:

  1. Floral shhets sound just the ticket and I'm sure I remember (somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind) Kitschy Koo doing a tute on making fitted sheets, but I may just have made that bit up!!

    I love that you talk about Dulcie and motherhood is such a life changing event that maybe we all expected the blog to change somewhat..... And with all the daily detail we'll be even more impressed with what you do creat when the crafty time is available :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I will have a look for that tutorial. I think I have it all worked out in my head already, but it would be good to have a heads-up on any potential pitfalls. I don't want to waste any of my favourite fabrics! I'm already getting the fear about using up such big chunks of them.

      Delete
    2. Just in case anyone has stumbled across this post hoping to make elasticated sheets, the tutorial Daisie was referring to can be found here - http://kitschycoo.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/tutorial-fitted-sheets-with-elasticated.html

      Delete
  2. I'm always glad to hear about what you are up to and that Dulcie is growing and I feel like we're along for the ride with you. I'll be sticking around :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I will give you a dropstitch pop quiz next time I see you though, just to check! Talking of which, been meaning to get in touch to see if you fancy meeting up soon. I shall email shortly x

      Delete
  3. well....i'm not going anywhere! i love to read your blog, and its one of my favorites, and is made even more cute and 'favoritable' (really dont think thats a word) with the addition of Dulcie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks :) One day we'll get to the stage of having Dulcie AND craft AND charity shopping - the motherlode of all blogs! Ha! (I think I may have misused the word "motherlode" there, but my brain won't stretch to a replacement this afternoon.)

      Delete
  4. Personally I follow your blog because of the change and the craft/motherhood combo. I first (and possibly the only time) met you when I was sporting a rather big bump on our way to Dundee to see Handmade Nation and that was probably the last indulgently crafty thing I have accomplished! I love being able to read about Dulcie and particularly having a crafty mum to relate to here in webland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I remember discussing baby names with you and how you had almost inadvertently named your baby after a mountain. I hope you came up with a good name in the end - I'm sure you did! Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment :)

      Delete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)