Tuesday, October 28, 2014

reading challenge


My sister has persuaded me to take part in the latest Semi-Charmed Book Challenge.  I wasn't sure at first because I don't like being involved in anything that prescribes/restricts my reading choices (I ain't joining no book group!) but then I started thinking about what I might choose for the categories and realised I could read pretty much anything I wanted and that taking part might encourage me to read a wider variety of books and get through some titles that have been languishing patiently on my shelves for years.  In that spirit, I decided to scour my existing book collection for possible candidates first.  I was surprised to find so many suitable books there, many of them that I'm really excited to finally get round to reading.  And I was pleased to have the excuse to treat myself to a couple of new (new-to-me) titles :)

Here's what I plan to read for each category, with links to their Godreads entries.

5 points: Freebie!
(I'm going to save this category in case I stumble across something I really can't wait to read.)

10 points: Read a book written by an author who has published at least 10 books.  

10 points: Read a book of short stories. 

10 points: Read a book with a food in the title. 

15 points: Read the first book in a series that is new to you. 

15 points: Read a book that was originally written in a language that is not your native language.  

15 points: Read a book written by a local author. 

20 points: Read a "bookish book."  

20 points: Read a book with a direction in the title.  

25 points: Read a book from a genre you don't usually read.  

25 points: Read a book with a song lyric in the title.  
FREEDOM (Jonathan Franzen - 576 pages) (i.e. Freedom by George Michael)

30 points: Read two books with a different meal in each title. 

The challenge starts on November 1st, so you've still got time to sign up if you fancy taking part yourself.  I wish I hadn't just started another book - I'm going to be playing catch-up from the get-go!

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of most of the books on your list! Going to look them up and probably end up with even more for my to-read list ;-) Good luck with the challenge! I'm so excited for 1t November so I can start reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'll be all the random titles I've picked up in charity shops over the years! Ha! I'm hoping I'll enjoy the majority of these. Many of them I don't know much about myself, but that's part of the fun, right? Good luck with the challenge! :)

      Delete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)