Thursday, May 6, 2010

birthdays bloomin' birthdays

Here I am on my first birthday and I obviously haven't changed much in the last 29 years as this is the expression I've had on my face for most of this week. I'm not a birthday lover really and this one is the most painful yet. Still, if I go on enough fairground rides and paddle in the sea for long enough, maybe I will start to believe that I'm still young, just as everyone has been telling me lately. I should add, actually, that there are many pictures of me looking happy on my first birthday and that I had a fun birthday evening last night (drinking strawberry and lime cider, eating curry and watching dodgy old Meg Ryan films) and have already had some lovely presents, so I do know birthdays (even this one!) are not all bad. And I'm still super excited about going Scarborough even though the weather forecast is for torrential rain, but I haven't packed yet so had better go. Next time you hear from me, I will be old 30...

6 comments:

  1. I didn't mind turning thirty, it's not so bad really, and I live, secure in the knowledge that I'll never be as old as Simon (hubby)!!
    Happy Birthday!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put some glasses on and you won't have changed a bit. I'm loving the dried flower things on the table too. Sure we had them...and every other house in the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I have the 'comfort' of an older man too, though it does mean I have to feel REALLY guilty when I describe myself as being old!

    I think the stuff on the table is called pampas grass? It takes me straight back to my childhood - whoomp! I used to love touching it because it was so soft, but it would make all the little seedy head bits fall off and I would get told off because my mum didn't want the pampas grass to go baldy. She probably didn't want the seeds all over the carpet either, now that I think of it.

    I wonder when I will be old enough to have a clean and tidy house. Maybe something magical will happen to me on Sunday and I will suddenly be able to do dishes immediately after meals and stop leaving piles of charity shop/crafty nonsense everywhere and do my laundry before I practically have to leave the house naked... Now that would be a positive to hitting the big 3-0!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! That is indeed Pampas Grass. My best friend had a giant bush of it in their front garden.

    I've got news for you - I've reached 31 and my house is still a mess :)

    Have a great time in Scarborough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, thanks(!) And you, as a subtitler, feel the burn of that exclamation mark in brackets! A tidy house - the one positive thing I had to cling on to - has been cruelly ripped away from me... ;)

    As Scarborough draws ever nearer, I get ever more excited. Chips, ice cream and being whipped by icy cold sea water on the wind... I actually can't wait! Yippee! Even though I have seen the weather forecast, I have still optimistically packed some summer outftits. I WILL use my bucket and spade this weekend... even if I do get frostbite doing so! It's so funny that we wil be in England. I really haven't spent much time there. We plan to ask every shop assistant for a can of ginger - hurr hurr!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! I have to say, 30 as been pretty bloody fun for me so far so I'd highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)