Saturday, May 29, 2010

I saw the sign (and it opened up my eyes)

Scarborough is a haven of great signage.
This map is in the train station, though we didn't notice it until we were leaving!
There are a couple of these funicular type trams to get up the very steep cliffs. At only 70p one way, it was quite a bargain and we succumbed twice. The carriages are lovely too (photo to follow).
I don't suppose this sign will be getting repaired now that sun bathing is not to be encouraged.
This hotel didn't look that majestic, but it did have a great typeface.
Graham had never been on a big wheel before. I don't think he was keen to start now, but it was one of the things I really wanted to do on my birthday so he gave it a shot (and secretly enjoyed it). We had the big wheel all to ourselves. My actual birthday was so hot and sunny as you can see from this photo. The sudden change in weather was fun, especially since I was about the coldest I had ever been the day before as we got lashed by icy sea water and gale-force winds.
This sign was by the door to the oldest of old-school wig shops that was just beside our hotel. Apparently its main sign (with an out of date phone number) was put up so it could be used for filming The Royal, Scarborough's proudest export! I saw quite a few wig shops actually. Is that a Yorkshire thing? I wouldn't have the foggiest where to find a wig in Glasgow.
One thing Scarborough is not short of is benches. There is literally a bench every three metres or so, all dedicated to the memory of someone. Lots of the plaques were really sweet to read and most of them mentioned how much the person loved either living in or visiting Scarborough. I think Ken must have been a nice man to plan this plaque and I did enjoy the view. Thank you, Ken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)