Sunday, November 4, 2012

on a sunday afternoon

 It's Dulcie's first birthday on Saturday (unbelievable) and I really want to give her a handmade gift.  With Dulcie's particular brand of 24/7 clinginess that she's been rocking over the last month or two, it's been pretty much impossible to find the time to make a start on anything for her, but today, in a last-ditch attempt, Graham took her out for a walk so that I could get peace to try to make her present.  This was the scene  this afternoon as I brought the sewing machine into the kitchen and stitched away while listening to Jarvis Cocker.
I had made a good start on Dulcie's gift by the time she got back, but then it all went wrong and the seams started to split as I was stuffing it.  I did a swift repair job, but am most unhappy about the situation as I want her present to be special and maybe not perfect but certainly not botched.  Hopefully I find the time to finish it this week at least.

I'm not sure if maybe all mums feel a bit sad when their babies turn one, but given what happened when she was born, I am finding it hard to separate Dulcie's birthday from the anniversary of when my life turned into a big pile of shit.  I think I'd feel a lot better about it all if I had managed not to mess up her present :(

4 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up over it! She'll love it no matter what x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm being a less harsh critic today and would even go so far as to say I am quite liking the botched part, which occurred in the best possible location if something did have to go wrong. Now we just have to hope Dulcie goes to sleep a couple of evenings this week so that I can complete the finishing touches.

      Delete
  2. Waaah, a year! Where the hell did that go?! The present'll be ace; all the more perfect because you made it yourselfx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! And Dulcie's birthday also marks the end of maternity leave :(

      I made a wee bit more progress with the gift this evening while Dulcie was in the bath so it's looking vaguely possible that it will be finished by the weekend.

      Delete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)