Monday, May 3, 2010

busy doing... what exactly?


arbus_jewish_giant
Originally uploaded by photobing2000
Goodness, I haven't blogged since April! April! (Yes, I kow April only ended a few days ago, but it has been a while.) Where does the time go? It's been non-stop round these parts, though I can't for the life of me think exactly what I've been doing. Hmm... Well, working obviously and sewing, as I've sold even more EastEnders embroideries. I don't know what is going on with that. I think some nice person must have written something about them, but I've googled to no avail. Well, I'm not complaining (though my broken and bleeding fingers certainly are).


Also on the rise and rise of my sewing skillz, I got asked to go on telly and talk about my embroideries and craft in general. That was a bit crazy and I was very relieved to have the genuine excuse of having to work! I should point out that I haven't heard of a single Glasgow crafter who wasn't asked to go on this show (it's not like they sought me out specifically) and, do you know what? Not a single person was available to do it... allegedly! Either Glasgow crafters are very busy or very camera shy. Anyway, the lady said she was going to have to postpone the item, but that she'd be back in touch when she rescheduled. You may see me on TV yet, but I doubt it!

I've also been a day trip to Edinburgh to visit my old school friend, Julia. We went to the Diane Arbus exhibition at the Dean Gallery (where I saw the picture at the top of this post) and it was great. If you're in Edinburgh, you should definitely try to go - lots of photos of slightly off the beaten track people and women with great hair and jewel encrusted glasses. The photo here is called 'Jewish Giant'. The 'giant' pictured earned his living by appearing as a sideshow attraction, much to his parents' disapproval. Every time I look at this picture, I can't help but think of it as a fairy tale where the (tiny) couple wished and wished for a baby and ended up with a giant, like the reverse Thumbelina.

In other daytrip news, Graham and I had a top day's charity shopping on Thursday. I got a stud and gemstone applying machine (it was only £1 and I'm sure I'll use it... some day?), lots of nice buttons for my collection, a book I'd been wanting to read, a great dress, dominos for brooching and all sorts of other crafty supplies and gubbins. Graham got a record, which was apparently an impressive find.

Other than that, I've been cleaning (slowly but surely undoing the craft fair hurricane in the flat) and swimming in my new swimming suit. I've been looking for a new swimming suit for ages and finally took a chance by getting one on Ebay and it's great. I no longer have to be embarrassed by my fluorescent pink bottom bobbing along the surface of the water. Talking of swimming, I want to go again this morning, so I had better go.

Oh dear, this blog post seems like a letter to an auntie or something. Well, now that we're all caught up, normal blogging can hopefully resume!

3 comments:

  1. charity shop bargains sound wonderful!pictures??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, I've missed you! Have you ever seen that episode of Malcolm in the Middle where him and Lois have the flu and have to spend the week in 'quarantine'? They end up seeing a bedazzler, gem stone applying thingamagig and by the end of the week their whole room and their clothes end up bedazzled. I can totally imaging Graham coming home from work and finding you in the flat with every surface completely covered in rhinestones... And you totally have to go on telly, just so I can see you in real life ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I have time for pictures?! Pah! (I'll try!) And I was going to say that I planned to use the rhinestone applicator tastefully, but... Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)