Saturday, January 3, 2015

craftathon 2015!

Long-time readers of this blog might remember Craftathon 2011, where I challenged myself to try my hand at 16 creative activities over the course of the year.  Considering the unexpected twists and turns the year took (three months of morning sickness, a diagnosis of heart failure, the birth of a premature baby, two months spent in hospital) and my general inability to stick to my goals without getting distracted, the challenge was pretty successful.  The highlight was learning to crochet (making the beloved ripple blanket, pictured above) which is now my go-to craft for all occasions.

But there were plenty of crafts on the list that I didn't get round to, as well as some that I've developed a hankering for since, so I've decided (despite the fact I should be concentrating on other more important but less exciting areas) to launch Craftathon 2015.  Yay!  It's not going to be the epic of 2011, but its more modest scale should fit in better with my lower levels of time and energy.  I'm also thinking having less crafts on the list will give me more opportunity to pursue crafts not on the list at the same time because I already know I want to crochet, embroider, do a Gocco print etc, but I want to prioritise these crafts I have rarely or never attempted.

So, here's the list...which I'm reserving the right to amend if there's anything I've neglected!

CRAFTATHON 2015!
1. Beading
2. Paper cutting/collage
3. Lino printing
4. Lace making
5.  Sew an item of clothing for myself
6. Needle felting

I'm hoping I'll have lots of fun, maybe find another new long-term hobby and have some nice finished products to keep for myself or to give to others.  Selling my wares is not going to be my priority, I just want to enjoy myself.  Is anyone else planning a crafty challenge for themselves this year?

6 comments:

  1. ah... your list is inspiring me! I got a needle felting kit for christmas so I am going to join you on that one. I also desperately need to finish a weave I started last january (!!!)
    Good luck with your goals. I look forward to seeing the results. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm not sure I'll like needle felting much and was swithering about including it, but since it's something I've never tried at all (despite it being on the crafting 2011 list too) I thought I should at least dip my toe in those fuzzy waters. I have a couple of wee needle felted project ideas semi formed, which is a good starting point. Hope you have another creative year. I'm sure you will!

      Delete
  2. I have one goal this year - make myself a dress with pockets. That's it. I bet I still fail. Look forwards to reading about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to love a dress with pockets! Good luck :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds good! I've been meaning to learn to knit. Maybe I'll find time for that this year... not til after April though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should learn to crochet instead - much more fun and much easier too. Besides, knitting is soooo 2014 ;)

      Delete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)