Sunday, March 27, 2011

thank goodness I'm not a mermaid...

...because we have woken up to find we have no water today. Most annoying, especially as we don't know why and can't see anybody about who might be doing water-related work. What is going on? I feel like my day is kind of on hold because I can't get washed or have a cup of coffee or even liquidise the soup I made yesterday as it needs water adding to it first. The poor cats' water bowl is empty and they're wandering around looking longingly at the taps. Where is our water and when will it be coming back? I was going to take the day off from crochet today as the cooking I did yesterday made my hands crack and bleed a bit (I don't like to push my luck with my hands these days - they're so much better than they used to be, but I'm always treading a fine line with them) but I really don't know what else to do from the comfort of my dressing gown. Hmm.

Talking of the cooking I did yesterday, I made a new protein-tastic recipe that my mum had sent me and it was delicious. I have decided to call it "Sausage Surprise" a la Jean Slater. I get the feeling I could be missing EastEnders after all! Here's the recipe (to serve 4).

SAUSAGE SURPRISE!

*Fry some sausages (I used veggie, about 2-3 per portion, though the recipe says pork) until they're lightly coloured.

*Add a chopped onion to the pan and fry till it's soft and golden.

*Add a crushed garlic clove and large grated carrot and fry for another minute or so.

*Add 175g of dried green lentils, some thyme (I just used dried stuff), a tin of chopped tomatoes and about half a litre of stock.

*Simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes and add more water if it's becoming dry.

*Just before serving, stir in about 4 tablespoons of creme fraiche.

That's it. Very easy! We had it with mashed turnip and it was delish, getting the thumbs up from Graham too. I made a giant pan of it and stocked up the freezer. Hooray! I want to make a tasty curry for the freezer today, but we'll have to wait and see if and when the water comes back on, I guess. Come back, water!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)