Wednesday, August 6, 2008

whitewashing

While charity shopping last week, I bought this little house shaped shelf.  I think it was originally used to store thimbles.  
I plan to put some of my trinkets in it (though so far most of them have turned out to be too big to fit in it - noooo!) but wanted to do some home improvements first.  So...

I've been painting the whole thing white.  Two years ago I really dug my heels in to make sure there were no white walls in the flat when we redecorated.  Now all I do is paint things white: the walls, the picture frames, now this house...  I've been wondering today, is this a symptom of a psychological disorder or something?  It's come from nowhere.  White white white.  Actually, I plan to paint the roof red and (if my paint skills are up to scratch) paint on little tiles.  I might also wallpaper inside the boxes so each one is like a different room?   It's been a good project to do today when I've been feeling very lazy and not productive - monotonous but purposeful.

I did complete another exciting project, actually.  Well, stage one of an exciting project.  Graham's friend, Marc, has a Gocco and (lovely man that he is) succumbed to my enthusiastic rambling/questioning/swooning on Saturday night and invited me to visit his Gocco and make a print on it.  I am so excited to try it (I was only angling for the opportunity to look at the Gocco so actually printing on it exceeds my wildest dreams!) but also a bit scared because Marc is very talented and my drawing skills are not up to much.  Anyway, today I made myself sit down and persevere, and ended up with drawings to make a two-colour print from.  I drew a hulder.  There are lots of different ideas about precisely what a hulder is/does but the version I know is that she is a super attractive lady (with Norwegian trolls for parents) but she has a cow's tail.  Men can spend an amazingly (a-hem!) pleasant summer's evening with her but if they speak a single word she'll capture them and keep them locked up forever.  I will share my hulder once I've printed her.  I hope she turns out.  Gocco!  I can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. i love white. it makes things look larger than they are :)..

    we painted our little place bright white. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went away for a few days and, when I got back, I was loving my new white frames more than ever. I finished painting the house shelf and painted the roof red. I have put a few little bits and pieces in it and it looks very cute. I will try to post a photo very soon.

    Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. Your blog is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable!!! I wish I could find a little house like this to paint! :) I've been searching thrift stores and yard sales like a madwoman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still annoyed that most of my bits and pieces won't fit in these shelves but I do love them anyway, and it gives me a great excuse to buy things from the doll's house shop! I recently found a huge pile of house shaped shelves quite like this in a cheapo everything-is-a-pound type shop. I don't know if you have those sorts of shops where you are? Might be worth a try. Good luck in your search!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)