Saturday, December 15, 2012

secret santa stress

Secret agent stocking by Secret Agents found via Super Cute Kawaii

This year I am taking part in an Indie Secret Santa organised by Miso Funky's Claire.  I should never have done it!  Secret Santas always stress me out in the end, but I convinced myself that this time it would be different, spurred on by the thought of the lovely present I might receive.   Of course Christmas is about giving rather than receiving really (ha!) and I was genuinely excited at the prospect of having an excuse to buy one of the many handmade items I'd been swooning over.  So I blustered ahead and signed up... then panicked and blew it!  My "giftees" (a recently married couple) appeared, after a bit of online snooping, to have very different taste from me with a leaning towards the traditional/chintzy/grown-up side of life.  Not being into that type of thing myself, I was finding it impossible to tell what was good chintz and what was bad chintz so I decided to go for a his 'n' her themed variety package with one central handmade gift purchased from someone else and a few additional items made by me.  When the central item finally arrived (late enough for me to miss the posting deadline - instant stress) I started to doubt its appeal.  Somehow it didn't look as good in real life as it had on screen.  Had I really, faced with infinite options of handmade greatness, purchased something totally crap?  And then when I added the over-familiar items made by me, the package began to look as if I was overcompensating with quantity as opposed to quality.  Claire's horror story of a past Secret Santa using her parcel as an excuse to offload old drawer junk weighed heavily on my mind.  Would it look like that was what I was doing?  Adding my atrocious wrapping skills to the mix, I plodded to the post office with a heavy heart, picturing the lovely couple's crestfallen faces on Christmas morning.  Sigh...  You know what?  I really did try.  I just hope my giftees realise that.  Meanwhile, I have an enticing mystery parcel waiting for me under my own tree.  I just hope the guilt doesn't stop me from enjoying it!

Maybe next year I should take over the organising of the Indie Secret Santa to atone for my failings, counting myself out of all giving and receiving.  And wrapping.

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling! I feel the same with every craft swap and/or secret Santa! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Nic. It's nice to know it's not just me plus your comment allows me to entertain the possibility that maybe I am just being paranoid! :)

      Delete

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)