Thursday, April 23, 2015

crafting a crafty space and crafting in it

 
 Part of our ongoing work in the flat, and our most recent "accomplishment", has been to repurpose what was once our bedroom into a craft/music/play/laundry/spare-bed room.  My craft corner in said room is still a work in progress, but it's getting there.  I should have taken a picture of it before I'd pulled so much stuff out today.  It's tidy again now and I hope to be able to keep it that way, though it doesn't seem likely, given my track record.  Anyway, today I actually did some crafting in there for the first time, and you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs!
 I've made loads of these pointy kitties in my life, from a free pattern by Hillary Lang, but I hadn't made one in a long time, not since Dulcie's first birthday.  The one I made today is a birthday present for Dulcie's friend who happens to be called (wait for it) Kitty.  Yeah?  You see what I did there?  We've known about the birthday party for over a month and I made this with just 48 hours to spare, but that's quite organised by my usual standards.  Honestly, I can't believe I've made it at all.  I'm so glad not to be doing a last-minute present dash and buying something that makes me feel queasy for the environment...even if the kitty has turned out a bit weird looking!
I even managed to try out this nifty needle threader today.  I got it in my advent calendar from my sister.  It's a strange contraption, but boy is it good at threading needles!

It was really quite relaxing to craft in a dedicated crafting space today.  For the last couple of years I've been dragging supplies and equipment out of storage and into the kitchen every time I wanted to make something, knowing I might have to clear it all away before I was finished.  There's still a lot of organising ahead of me, but already getting this job half-ticked off the to-do list has improved our quality of life.  Dulcie and Graham are loving the new multipurpose room too.  Progress? Progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'm sorry that I've had to turn on the word verification feature again, but my inbox was being flooded with very dull spam. Genuine comments always brighten my day though, so thank you for taking the time to leave one :)